Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
• Cross-Street Banners may be installed for periods not to exceed 14 days for any single event
• Issuance of Permits may only be made to the following organizations or units of local government whose primary purpose for displaying a banner is for advertising and promoting community activities such as:
1. Tourism activities
2. SIU sponsored entertainment
3. SIU co-sponsored student events
4. Events co-sponsored by the City
5. Not for profit community art and cultural activities
6. Other events as determined by the City to be of civic or community interest and/or importance
• Application from the public for installation of a Cross-Street Banner shall be submitted for review no earlier than 12 months and no later than 30 days prior to the requested installation date
• An installation fee of $125 shall be paid upon approval of the application; the City retains sole discretion concerning fees
• Display dates will be assigned on a “first come - first serve” basis dependent upon
1. Receipt of a completed permit application
2. Positive staff review
3. Final approval by the Maintenance & Environmental Services Manager
• Once the permit is approved, substandard fabrication or other unacceptable variance from the approved permit, shall be cause for the banner to be returned for modification and compliance; but shall not be cause for the fee to be returned
To assure protection from physical liability banners shall meet the following fabrication requirements:
• Size - no larger than 100 sq. ft. per side; no longer that 36 feet; no greater in height than 36 inches
• Material - heavy nylon reinforced vinyl fabric, resistant to tearing and impervious to water
• Wind Load Protection - sufficient air-holes(slits) designed to reduce wind pressure shall be provided
• Reinforcement - top and bottom edges shall have a 2-inch double stitched fold; a 6-inch triangular, double stitched, extra layer of banner material shall be installed at each of the four corners
• Mounting Hardware - mounting grommets, having 3/8inch inside diameter holes, inside the two inch stitched material fold, at each corner and along the top and bottom edge of the banner at a distance not to exceed 36 inches on center should be provided. Fasten D-ring tie downs to all four corners of the banner
• Message - banner message(s) shall advertise or promote only those events specified in the General Information section above and the content therein shall be consistent with the intent of those items
• Advertisement - recognition of an event sponsor name or commercial advertisement may appear on the banner in the form of name or logo, but shall not occupy more than five percent(5%) of the banner area per side
• Cross-street banners shall be installed and removed solely by the City or its designee in accordance with the times and dates as listed in the approved permit with no installations being made on Saturdays or observed and/or celebrated holidays
• The City shall retain sole discretion to assess the quality of fabrication, the consistency and suitability of the message in its entirety and reserves the right to deny installation of the banner for any reason what-so-ever
• To assure timely installation, banners should be delivered to the Maintenance and Environmental Services Manager’s Office, located at the Public Works Maintenance Facility, 212 W Willow St, no later than five(5) working days, prior to scheduled installation; this allows ample time for inspection of the banner and corrective measures to be taken, if needed
• Banners shall be picked-up by the permit holder or designee within 10 working days subsequent to scheduled removal, or said banner will be disposed
(Enter proposed banner message)
I understand that upon approval of the permit, the fee is non-refundable after expiration of 30 days prior to the installation date. Additionally, I do hereby agree to the terms and conditions listed in the General Information Guide as printed and attached hereto, and do hereby request approval of this permit and that the City of Carbondale make installation in accordance with the dates as specified herein and the terms and conditions of the General Information Guidelines.
By checking the "I agree" box below, you agree and acknowledge that 1) your application will not be signed in the sense of a traditional paper document, 2) by signing in this alternate manner, you authorize your electronic signature to be valid and binding upon you to the same force and effect as a handwritten signature, and 3) you may still be required to provide a traditional signature at a later date.
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field