Helping kids prepare for emergencies can make them feel less stressed and safe during an emergency.
- Teach them about natural hazards like earthquakes, tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, and snowstorms and what to do when they occur
- Make a family emergency plan and prepare an emergency kit together
- Teach your kids what to do in case of a fire
- Make sure your kids know what to do at school if an emergency happens
- Take their fears seriously and tell them it's okay to be scared
- Explain the events as best you can
- Tell your kids what you think and feel
- Maintain familiar routines, like mealtimes and regular bedtime hours
- Teach your children how to use 9-1-1
For more information on preparing your children for an emergency, please contact the Carbondale Office of Emergency Management at 618-457-3245.