For many, the camping season starts as early as April! After being stuck inside during the winter months, campers are ready to get out and explore! If you can't make it to a campsite, try backyard camping with your kids.
Perks to camping are increased physical and mental health, opportunities to build relationships and life skills, less screen time, and lower lodging costs.
Before you pack up and take off down the road, the Carbondale Fire Department would like to share some camping safety tips to keep you safe:
- Plan ahead - Take time to research where you're going
- Check the weather - Bring appropriate items such as water, sunscreen, raingear
- Be aware - Check your equipment regularly, monitor people in your party for health and energy levels
- Respect wildlife - Remember, you are in their territory!
- Practice fire safety - Build a safe campfire
For more information, please contact the Carbondale Fire Department at 618-457-3234.