The City of Carbondale's Experience/Lateral Police Officer Program is initiated for qualified full-time sworn law enforcement officers.
Applicants for lateral appointment to the position of Police Officer must meet the following
minimum qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- State of Illinois certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board
with no more than forty (40) hours of training required by that Board for recertification, if
necessary. Certification by the state of employment outside Illinois will also be accepted provided
the certification will be accepted and recognized by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and
Standards Board with no more than forty (40) hours of training required by that Board for
recertification, if necessary. (Part-time certification as a law enforcement officer does not meet
- United States citizen
- Individuals must be at least 21 years old
- Education - High school education or equivalent thereof
- Experience – at least 2 years experience as a full time sworn, certified law enforcement officer
with a municipal or state police department within the last 3 years of Candidates with less than 2
years experience may be considered if the candidate has completed 60 hours of college credit or
has 2 years active duty military experience in addition to full time sworn certified law
enforcement officer experience.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must agree to comply with all requirements of the position and have the ability to pass all
examination and training requirements.
- Ability to furnish upon request, a copy of the following: a resume; professional licenses;
training certificates; documents confirming work experience; birth certificate; high school
diploma or GED certificate; transcripts of higher learning; naval or military service board and
discharge papers (DD-214); employee evaluations; and any other employment related material as
requested or required.
If you have any questions about our Lateral Hiring Program, please call the Human
Resources Department at (618) 457-3227 Monday -Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Applications
are reviewed weekly; however, oral interviews will be determined by needs of the
The City of Carbondale is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and people
with disabilities are encouraged to apply.