News Flash Home
The original item was published from 11/16/2018 12:14:28 PM to 11/24/2018 12:00:02 AM.

News Flash

Fire-Press Releases

Posted on: November 16, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Structure Fire


On 11-13-18 at approximately 7:37 a.m., the Carbondale Fire Department was dispatched  to 409 W. Main Street for a report of smoke coming from a second floor apartment unit.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found a fire in the kitchen of a first floor apartment unit. The fire quickly spread from the kitchen into the walls, past the second floor and into to the attic. Additional firefighters from surrounding communities were brought in to assist at the scene. 

West Main Street, from University Avenue to Poplar Street, was closed for a period of time. In addition to the traffic detour, the Carbondale Public Library postponed opening due to their proximity to the fire. A nearby apartment building was also evacuated as a precaution. 

The fire was contained at approximately 10:30 a.m. The apartment building suffered significant fire damage in the attic and second story as well as water damage throughout the building. Nine occupants were displaced due to the fire. No injuries were reported. Upon further investigation, it's believed the fire started in a first floor apartment unit as a result of unattended cooking.

Facebook Twitter Email