In an emergency, firefighters depend on house numbers to find you as quickly as possible. Finding your home, especially at night, can be challenging if address numbers are unreadable, hidden, unlighted or have missing numbers. In many cases, this may delay emergency responders from getting to you quickly.
In an effort to serve you better, the Carbondale Fire Department offers these tips:
- The numbers on your home should be at least three inches high and the numbers on businesses should be at least four inches high
- Numbers should be a contrasting color to the background
- Numbers should be placed on, above or at the side of the main entrance, so they can easily be seen from the street
- If the entrance is more than 50 feet from the street or cannot be seen from the street, a second set of numbers should also be displayed on your mailbox or on a post at the street or end of the drive
- Reflective numbers are highly recommended
If you have questions or would like more information, contact the Carbondale Fire Department at (618) 457-3234.