Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Information
On January 18, 2021, Governor JB Pritzker announced Region 5, which includes Jackson County, would reenter Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois Plant. For more information on Phase 4, click here. For further guidance, the State of Illinois has developed a business toolkit complete with signage, posters, and other resources to ensure business and activities are conducted in accordance with the latest public health recommendations. For more on the safety guidelines and access to the toolkit, click here.
The Governor also announced plans for efficient and effective statewide vaccine distribution. Details on the Vaccine Administration Plan can be found here.
Report Violations That Occur Inside Carbondale City Limits
To report violations of face coverings and/or over-occupancy within Carbondale city limits, please complete the online form available here.
If the violation occurred at a restaurant, you can also call the Jackson County Health Department (618) 684-3143.
Carbondale Mayor Mike Henry signed an Executive Order to assist local bars and restaurants with outdoor seating. For further clarification or to apply for a permit, please see below.
This declaration is for tenants, lessees, or residents of residential properties who are covered by the CDC’s order temporarily halting residential evictions (not including foreclosures on home mortgages) to prevent the further spread of COVID-19.
The CDC recommends (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html) implementing community mitigation strategies to slow the spread of the virus, primarily for the purpose of protecting people that are at higher risk for severe illness and to protect the healthcare and critical infrastructure workforces. As such, the City of Carbondale is implementing the following protocols effective immediately:
- Face masks are required to enter City Hall/Civic Center. For residents needing to make payments, we still encourage using alternative payment methods, such as online, by mail, dropbox, or at bank locations. To pay a bill, you can do so at http://www.explorecarbondale.com/411/Online-Bill-Pay, or your payment can be placed in the dropbox on the west side drive at City Hall. The Revenue Office continues to assist customers with billing questions at 618-457-3265
- All current events planned for the Civic Center or Town Square Pavilion will be canceled, except for voting
- The Carbondale City Council meetings are being held remotely. For login information, please view the City’s website calendar
- All public safety personnel will operate normal shifts and will provide normal 24-hour coverage
- Public Works departments will continue to operate as normal; refuse and recycling will collect on normal route days
For any questions or concerns please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on implementing measures to assist in reducing the spread of the virus, please view the City’s press release post on March 13, 2020.
City of Carbondale Ordinances Concerning COVID-19
- Ordinance 2020-12 "An Ordinance Declaring a Civil Emergency Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic"
- Ordinance 2020-13 "An Ordinance Amending Title 14, Chapter 4 of the Carbondale Revised Code as it Relates to Offenses Affecting Public Health and Safety by Adding Section 12 - Violation of Emergency Executive Orders"
- Ordinance 2020-24 "An Ordinance Regarding Face Coverings to Preserve and Protect Residents"
- Ordinance 2020-34 "An Ordinance Requiring Employers to Require all Employees to Wear Face Coverings to Preserve and Protect Residents
- Update #1 - COVID-19 Business/Employee Resources
- Update #2 - Governor’s Office COVID-19 Daily Q&A
- Update #3 - Carbondale Grocery Store Hours
- Update #4 - Governor Pritzker’s Executive Order
- Update #5 - What is Considered an Essential Business
- Update #6 - Governor Pritzker's 10-19-20 Press Release
- Update #7 - 02/17/21 Jackson County Health Department announces expansion of COVID-19 vaccinations
- Update #8 - Schedule your appointment for the COVID-19 Vaccine
COVID-19 Informational Links
For the most current information, please visit the following:
- Business/Employee Resources
- Emergency Small Business Grants and Loans Assistance
- Healthy Southern Illinois Delta Network
- Illinois Housing Development Authority ALERT and Emergency Mortgage Assistance
- Jackson County Health Department Public Health Alert
- Local Food Banks as listed by the Healthy Southern Illinois Delta Network
- Restaurants Offering Pick-Up or Delivery
- SI Coalition of the Homeless
- How can I support local businesses during this time?
- How do I report a violation of face coverings or over-occupancy?
- If City Hall is closed, how can I pay my water bill?
- My child is out of school. Are there resources available to help feed them?
- Will City operations continue if City Hall is closed?