Recreational Cannabis Information
All Cannabis-Related Businesses Are Approved
The state of Illinois has approved the use of recreational cannabis, beginning January 1, 2020 (Public Act 101-0027). This decision will allow the use of recreational cannabis (with restrictions) in all Illinois municipalities. Following discussion during the September 24, 2019, Council meeting, the Carbondale City Council took action on October 8, 2019, approving the operation of all state-licensed cannabis businesses within the City's jurisdiction.
- 09/24/2019 Council meeting:
- 10/08/2019 Council meeting:
Cannabis Consumption Lounge
A cannabis consumption lounge shall pay an annual permit fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00). The license year shall be January 1 through December 31 each year.
A licensed cannabis consumption lounge shall be subject to an annual fire and safety inspection prior to the issuance or renewal of a license.
Regulations (Title 5, Chapter 18 of the Carbondale Revised Code)
- A location within or adjacent to a licensed cannabis retailer in which on-premises consumption of cannabis or cannabis-infused products may be consumed.
- A cannabis consumption lounge may operate during the hours that the associated dispensary is permitted to operate and up to two (2) hours after the dispensary closes.
A licensed cannabis consumption lounge shall not permit or allow a person under the age of twenty-one (21) to enter or remain within the cannabis lounge.
- A licensed cannabis consumption lounge shall maintain such ventilation and odor control so as to not create a public nuisance.
- A licensed cannabis consumption lounge shall provide sufficient security so as to prevent the cannabis lounge from becoming a public nuisance.
- A licensed cannabis consumption lounge shall provide local law enforcement with access to recorded security camera footage upon request and shall maintain such video recordings for a minimum period of ninety (90) days.
- A licensed cannabis consumption lounge shall not permit unsealed cannabis to leave the cannabis lounge, except as approved by the Illinois Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act as amended.
- No licensee shall permit any person to enter or remain upon the licensed premise with any product containing alcohol, except as approved by the Illinois Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act as amended.
Complete an online Cannabis Consumption Lounge Permit Application.
During the November 26, 2019 Council meeting, the Carbondale City Council adopted an Ordinance Amending Title 15 with regard to cannabis cultivation, processing, and sales (PDF). The Ordinance placed no additional zoning restrictions on cannabis-related businesses.
- Retail dispensaries are allowed in the following districts:
- SB - Secondary Business
- BPR - Primary Business
- BPL - Planning Business
- Cultivation Centers, Craft Growers, Processors and Testing Labs are allowed in the following zoning districts:
- GI - General Industrial
- LI - Light Industrial
- BWA - Wholesale and Automotive
- AG - Agriculture
- SB - Secondary Business
- Illinois Municipal League FAQ
- Summary of the major elements of Public Act 101-0027 - Cannabis Regulation Tax Act
- Senator Steans Municipal Toolkit (This link provides a summary of the law and related policy, but it is not intended to provide legal advice. Please consult an attorney for legal advice or questions.