Experience/Lateral Police Officer Program
Open Testing & Applications
If you have two or more years of post-probationary work experience as a police officer and meet the outlined qualifications, you are eligible for the Lateral Police Officer Program. Applications for experienced police officers are accepted on an ongoing basis and are reviewed weekly. Oral interviews are determined by the hiring needs of the Department.
City of Carbondale
Human Resources Office
200 S. Illinois Avenue
Carbondale, Illinois 62902
Applicants for lateral appointment to the position of Police Officer must meet the following minimum qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- State of Illinois certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board with no more than forty (40) hours of training required by that Board for recertification, if necessary. Certification by the state of employment outside Illinois will also be accepted provided the certification will be accepted and recognized by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board with no more than forty (40) hours of training required by that Board for recertification, if necessary. (Part-time certification as a law enforcement officer does not meet this requirement.)
- United States citizen
- Individuals must be at least 21 years old
- Education - High school education or equivalent thereof
- Experience – at least 2 years experience as a full time sworn, certified law enforcement officer with a municipal or state police department within the last 3 years of Candidates with less than 2 years experience may be considered if the candidate has completed 60 hours of college credit or has 2 years active duty military experience in addition to full time sworn certified law enforcement officer experience.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must agree to comply with all requirements of the position and have the ability to pass all examination and training requirements.
- Ability to furnish upon request, a copy of the following: a resume; professional licenses; training certificates; documents confirming work experience; birth certificate; high school diploma or GED certificate; transcripts of higher learning; naval or military service board and discharge papers (DD-214); employee evaluations; and any other employment related material as requested or required.
If you have any questions about our Lateral Hiring Program, please call the Human
Resources Department at (618) 457-3227 Monday -Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The City of Carbondale is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and people
with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CARBONDALE ORGANIZATIONAL PHILOSOPHY: As a responsive and caring community, Carbondale’s success is not just based on “what we do,” but also “how we do it.” Our core values define the behaviors important in our interactions with residents, visitors, and one another. These are the values that guide our work: accountability, integrity, fairness, communication, honesty, and teamwork.
All prospective, newly hired, and/or onboarding employees hired after the effective date of the City’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (September 27, 2021) will be required to be fully vaccinated before their start date, unless otherwise exempted from the Policy by an approved accommodation request. If a new employee has received a COVID-19 vaccination prior to their employment at the City of Carbondale, proof of vaccination must be provided to the Human Resources department.
Successful applicants must be in good standing with the current department and/or left
previous department(s) in good standing.
These core values guide our work:
We do what we say we will do
We have high moral and ethical standards
We are professional and fair
We are reliable
We honor our commitments
We accept responsibility
We take responsibility for the outcome of our actions and decisions
We hold ourselves and others accountable
We are consistent and balance conflicting interests
We are impartial and objective
We treat everyone without favoritism or discrimination
We value every member of our team
We value positive, efficient, and effective group action
We respect residents, visitors, and one another
We foster open lines of communication
We encourage sharing of opinions and ideas
We listen and share information with others