Historic Preservation Awards Program
Historic Preservation Award Nominations
The City of Carbondale Preservation Commission is honored to sponsor the Annual Historic Preservation Awards. Any property within Carbondale city limits is eligible for a Historic Preservation Award. Carbondale residents are invited to submit nominations for any property they feel deserving of an award.
Properties may be nominated for one of the following five categories:
- Preservation: This includes buildings that have been kept in their original architectural style and are being used for their original purpose.
- Restoration: Properties that have been restored to their original style or appearance.
- Sympathetic Addition: Construction of an addition to an existing structure that is consistent with the original architectural style of the property.
- Compatible New Construction: Any new structure that is consistent with the original architectural style of the neighborhood or that utilizes historic building materials and techniques.
- Adaptive Reuse: Existing structures that have maintained their original architectural style but are not being used for their original purpose.
Anyone can nominate a property; however, owners are encouraged to nominate their own property. The award winners will be recognized at a City Council meeting in May in association with National Preservation Month. Complete an online nomination form. /formcenter/development-services-16/historic-preservation-awards-program-88 /documentcenter/view/5127/2020-historic-preservation-award-nomination-form-pdf
For further information on the Historic Preservation Awards or any other City of Carbondale Preservation Commission activities, contact the Planning Services Division at 618-457-3233.
2023 Historic Preservation Award Winners
Preservation Category for a Commercial Property:
- Oldenhage-Hughes Building, located at 122 North Illinois Avenue
Preservation Category for a Residential Property:
- Grayson Investments, LLC Home, located at 209 North Springer Street
Adaptive Reuse Category for a Residential Property:
- Mark Robinson Home, located at 800 West Sycamore Street
2022 Historic Preservation Award Winners
- Swoboda/Boyer Home, located at 409 West Monroe Street
- Bryant/Franklin Home, located at 2607 West Sunset Drive
Sympathetic Addition Category:
- The Hundley House, located at 601 West Main Street
2021 Historic Preservation Award Winners
- The Darling House, located at 2603 West Sunset Drive
- Mural/Collage of Historic Logos located at the Dunaway Block at 102-106 East Jackson Street
2020 Historic Preservation Award Winners
No awards were issued in 2020
2019 Historic Preservation Award Winners
Preservation Category: Baston/Gilbert Home, located at 513 West Walnut
Restoration Category: R. Buckminster Fuller Dome Home, located at 407 S. Forest Avenue