Pursuant to Carbondale City Code 10-1-14 it is unlawful to burn or set fire to refuse or any other combustible material within the City of Carbondale with the exception of recreational fires, established in the following guidelines:
- The fire should be in the rear yard unless none exists, then in a side yard behind the front plane of the house. In no instance should the fire ever be located between the structure and the street.
- The fire must be no more than three feet in diameter and two feet in height.
- The fire must be at least twenty-five feet from a structure or other combustible material; fifteen feet if in an approved container.
- The fire may include contained sticks or logs, however, may not include leaves, refuse, or building materials.
- A method of extinguishment must be readily available; i.e. extinguisher, hose, buckets, etc.
- The fire must not be objectionable because of excessive smoke or odor.
- The fire must be constantly attended to at all times.
- The fire department may order extinguishment of open fires that create or add to a hazardous or objectionable situation.