The Saluki Express mass transit system is SIU Carbondale's answer to parking and traffic problems. SIU Carbondale students, faculty, and staff, as well as the Carbondale community, are encouraged to get on board. Relax and be transported to work, school, or popular destinations such as the University Mall, Illinois Avenue, and Murdale Shopping Center. This convenient system offers seven weekday routes and three weekend routes (while school is in session) and a break route that operates while school is not in session. Full service begins four days prior to the start of the Fall Semester.
The Saluki Express Buses can be tracked in real time via Transloc, either on your web browser, mobile device, or by text! Simply text the word SIUC, leave a space, and then the actual bus stop number. You will receive a text with the estimated times of upcoming arrivals to that stop. Message and data rates may apply. Visit the Transloc site for more details.
Fares and Bus Passes
- Students at SIU in Carbondale ride at no additional cost with a valid student ID.
- Bus passes for unlimited rides are available at the Business Office Windows on the 2nd floor of the Student Center. Fall, Spring and Summer passes are valid from the first day of break after the previous term ends until the last day of finals. Monthly passes are valid for thirty days from the date of purchase. Passes may be purchased prior to or during the respective period. Rates for Fall, Spring, and Summer passes are as follows:
1. $52 for SIU Carbondale faculity, staff and the general public;
2. $52 for CESL students;
3. $42 for spouses and children of SIU Carbondale residents;
4. Monthly passes are $18 per month for everyone;
5. Regular fare for non-pass holders is $1.00. Exact change only;
6. Children under five ride free when accompanied by an adult;
7. Chioldren must be seated with an adult;
8. Children under 13 ride for half price when accompanied by an adult (Pass required);
9. Children half price fare pass available at the Student Center Business Windows, located on the 2nd floor.
- Departure times are approximate and based on times given on the Saluki Express web page. Got to www.studentcenter.siu.edu and follow the Saluki Express link for complete time and route information.
- All passengers are required to display a valid SIU Carbondale ID or a bus pass. If neither of these items are displayed to the driver, $1.00 must be deposited in the fare box. Anyone failing to comply may be instructed to leave the bus. A class schedule will not be accepted in lieu of a student ID.
- The driver reserves the right to deny entrance to any individual displaying unruly or belligerent behavior. If the individual is on the bus, he/she may be asked to leave at the next scheduled bus stop.
- There is no smoking or open alcohol permitted on the bus. No pets or bicycles are allowed on the bus.
- Items brought on bus cannot be stored in the seats, bus aisles or wheelchair station areas.
- Service may vary from the published schedule in the event of severe weather, construction or other unforeseen conditions.
- Schedules are subject to change when system alterations are required; any deviation form the original schedule will be announced prior to implementation.
- Salukie Express is funded by SIU Carbondale student fees, fare box revenues, and bus pass sales. Many bus routes and policies originate with the Mass Transit Advisory Council. If you have any questions or concerns contact the Saluki Express Office at 618-453-5749 or Durham School Services at 618-549-2877 during business hours (Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.).
Bus Route Maps
A the following is a listing of Bus Routes with the actual map and time listing of stops. Each map is made into a (pdf) to be downloaded and printed for your convience.
West Campus Shuttle
East Campus Shuttle
South Campus Shuttle
Late Night Shuttle
Grand Avenue Shuttle
Crosstown Weekend Route
For more information visit the SIU Mass Transit Site.