Building and Neighborhood Services

The Building and Neighborhood Services Division (BNS) is responsible for inspecting buildings and properties to ensure compliance with building, zoning, electrical, plumbing, housing and environmental standards within the community. BNS is also responsible for administering the City’s mandatory rental inspection program as well as responding to complaints and providing assistance to residents experiencing issues. 


Electrical Licensing

All persons performing electrical services on properties other than their own, within city limits, have to be a licensed electrician. The City of Carbondale issues electrical licenses to persons who pass an exam designed by the Electrical Commission. The City also accepts licenses from other Illinois municipalities.

  • Electricians must keep a current copy of their license, surety bond and liability insurance on file in the Building & Neighborhood Services Division
  • Surety bonds are made payable to the City of Carbondale in the amount of $3,500
  • Liability insurance requirements are not less that $100,000 per person, $300,000 all persons and $50,000 property damage per accident
  • An electrical permit is required for each job performed

Building Permits

A building permit is required if you plan to construct, add to, alter, remove or demolish a building or structure or install equipment for the operation of a building or structure.

  • Fees for building permits is based on the estimated cost of the work, two-tenths of one percent (0.2%) with a minimum fee of five dollars ($5)
  • If work has been started without authorization, administrative cost for an investigation inspection and issuing of permits for work, but in no event shall such fee be based upon the estimated cost of such work, less than two-fifths of one percent (2/5%) of such cost, or twenty five dollars ($25), whichever is greater. Forms for both, Building Permit Application for 1-2 family or Building Permit Commercial Application is available in (pdf) format.

Also available in (pdf) fomat are the:

Electrical Permit Application
Roofer Registration Form
Bidder Qualifications Statement

Sign Permits

Permits are issued for signs which are displayed in the City limits of Carbondale and in the mile and one-half zoning jurisdiction.

  • Sign Permits are issued to ensure the placement or installation of signs are within the guidelines of the Carbondale Revised Code
  • The Code regulates the size of signage and is restricted by the zoning of the property, the square footage of the building or the lot frontage
  • Real estate signs, yard sale signs, etc. are not required to have permits; however, these signs must be located on private property and not placed on the right-of-way or utility poles
  • The permit fee is based on the size of the sign and illumination

Demolition Permits

Demolition permits are required prior to demolition of a structure. 

  • A permit is required for each structure at the cost of $10 per structure
  • An Agreement to Demolish is required

Hotel and Motel License

All hotel, motel and bed & breakfast establishments are required to have an annual license from the City of Carbondale.

  • Inspections are performed annually by BNS
  • License fees are $10 per bed or $250 per establishment, whichever is less
  • A Hotel/Motel License is required

House Moving Permit

A permit is required prior to moving a house or any structure across or on any street or public right-of-way.

Amusement Machine License

All coin or token operated amusement machines located in the City limits are required to be licensed.

  • This includes pool tables, video games, pinball machines, juke boxes etc.
  • Licenses are $25 per machine
  • Must be displayed on each machine in use
  • Application for Amusement License

Mandatory Rental Housing Inspection Program

The Mandatory Rental Housing Inspection Program requires rental property owners to register and provide access to rental dwelling units for inspection once every three years.

Housing Rehabilitation Program Contractor Application

We are always seeking additional contractors to work in the Housing Rehabilitation Program. The City administers grants for the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO), Community Development Assistance Program (CDAP), the Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA) and Single Family Owner Occupied Rehabilitation (SFOOR).

  • Contractors experienced in building and renovating homes are encouraged to contact the Housing Programs Administrator, Travis Taylor at (618) 457-3233
  • The City also is seeking contractors who are licensed by the State of Illinois to perform lead-based paint mitigation in homes being rehabilitated
  • Contractor Qualification Application 

Maintenance of Tall Grass and Weeds

Grass and weeds over eight 8" inches in height are a nuisance and are required to be removed by City Code.

  • This does not apply to land zoned as Forestry or Agriculture as long as a 20-foot perimeter adjacent to any right-of-way is mowed and maintained
  • Owners and tenants are required to keep adjoining public right-of-way mowed
  • Two ordinance violations, during the same growth season, will result in a citation issued to all owners and occupants of the property
  • Each subsequent posting will result in a citation during the balance of the growth season
  • If the tall grass and weeds have not been mowed within seven days of the posting, the City's mowing contractor will mow the property at the owner's expense

To see if a property has been posted, view the Weed Posting Report.



Chris Wallace, Development Services Director
200 S. Illinois Avenue
P.O. Box 2047
Carbondale, Illinois 62902-2047
(618) 457-3248

John Lenzini, Building and Neighborhood Services Supervisor
200 S. Illinois Avenue
P.O. Box 2047
Carbondale, Illinois 62902-2047
(618) 457-3237

Travis Taylor, Housing Programs Administrator
200 S. Illinois Avenue

P.O. Box 2047
Carbondale, Illinois 62902-2047
(618) 457-3233

Office hours: 8am - 5pm, Monday - Friday


Show Menu
Hide Menu