The Woodlawn cemetery was the site of the first memorial day service in Illinois and perhaps in the country, to honor those who had died in the Civil War, took place in Woodlawn Cemetery on April 29, 1866. Civil War Hero General John A. Logan gave the commenorative address. Designated in 1994, the City currently maintains the Cemetery and Memorial Day services are observed each year at the site.
Originally the science building, it is the oldest surviving building on campus. Designed in the Gothic revival style with yellow brick and gray rock-faced limestone. The octagonal four-story tower and crenellated turret and parapet were popular devices on educational buildings of the period. The pointed arches and trefoil patterns are typical of the Gothic Revival. The building is now the home of the Music Department.
This Romanesque style red brick and rock faced sandstone building was originally the University library. Reminiscent of the Richardson Romanesque style, with its round arched windows, it was intended to harmonize with the second Old Main which burned in 1969.
A miniature version of Queen Anne houses of the late 1880's. Clapboards on the first story with fish-scale shingles on the second half story, and the off center porch are typical picturesque features of the style. Note the gable treatment with hooded windows and half timbers. The house is in an excellent state of preservation. Private residence.
An excellent example of the square Bracketed-Italianate style with its scrolled brackets and wide projecting eaves. It was originally only two stories high with a low hip roof. The first president of Southern Illinois Normal University(SINU), Robert Allyn, added the mansard roof, one-story dining room wing, and two-story bay window in 1879 which brought the house into the Second Empire style. Private residence.
The William Dixon House was built in 1858. The origianal story-and-a-half house is the oldest documented frame house still standing in Carbondale. Two additions have been made to the residence; the east parlor in the 1920's and the west two-story addition in the 1940's. The architectural style of the house is considered French colonial. Designated in 1998 the home is currently a private residence.
Represents a type of modest frame house which was very popular in Carbondale in the 1870's and 80's. The central cross gable with pointed molding over the gable windows are typical, but the porch and wooden Gothic trim are missing. The house contains walls of brick nogging from an earlier structure. Private residence.
The George Washington Smith home was built by SIU Professor George Washington Smith in 1901. Smith was a noted Lincoln historian, text book writer, and Vice President of the Illinois State Historical Society. The house is an example of transitional Queen Anne and Colonial Revival. The central entrance, colonial railing, and square massing of the Colonial Revival are combined with Queen Anne asymmetrical east facade and patterned shingles. The original porch was replaced in the 1940's. Designated in 1995 the home is currently a private residence.
A Queen Anne corner tower and porch were added to this simple 1870's house in the 1890's to bring it into fashion. The Queen Anne porch has since been replaced. Private residence.
A three-bay sidehall Italianate house with a low hip roof and eave brackets. The front facade has tall arched windows typical of the style. The house was built on the site of the Hundley House and moved in 1915 to Maple Street. The ornamented porch and second story balustrade have been removed. Private residence.
A square two-story house with red tile hip roof, and built of glazed brick with wide overhanging eaves. The Prairie style influence can be seen in the horizontal bands of windows, lack of Historical detail, and broad flattened arches on the wide porches. The design of the brickwork is repeated on the interior walnut stairway which contains an original Art Nouveau stained glass window. Gift shop.
The Old Railroad Passenger Depot, 111 South Illinois Avenue, was built in 1903 by the Illinois Central Railroad. The City of Carbondale restored the exterior in 1992 and the interior in 1996.
The Town Square Pavilion, reconstructed in 1992 using the hand-hewn beams from the original freight and passenger depot, was built in 1854 by the City's founder, Daniel Harmon Brush. It was the site of a large public celebration on the Fourth of July, 1854, when the first train came to Carbondale.
The F.A. Prickett Building, 127 North Washington Street, was built in 1903 by Francis Asbury Prickett, one of Carbondale's prominent businessmen. The building was designed by Carbondale's leading architect/designer/builder of the era, Issac Rapp. Known as the F.A. Prickett Drug Store, the two-story brick commercial structure is a late Victorian style with a second bay over a first floor corner entry.
The Batson/Gilbert House, 513 West Walnut Street, was built by Francis M. Batson in 1894 and was later purchased by Dr. John P. Gilbert in 1912. Dr. Gilbert, first head of the Southern Illinois Normal University agriculture department (later known as Southern Illinois University Carbondale) was responsible for setting up a strong agriculture curriculum in the area schools through his work with the State Farmers Institute. The house is an example of "country" Queen Anne architecture.
The Winters House, 512 West Oak Street, was built ca. 1896. It was built for Jesse J. Winters, a partner with Joseph Solomon in the men's clothering business. During his forty years in Carbondale, Winters was active in civic affairs. serving as alderman several times and as interim mayor in 1914. The house is an example of the Queen Anne style.
The Dunaway Block (circa 1900), 102-106 East Jackson, is one of the most intact architectural borders of the Town Square. Other than modifications to the storefronts to the lower level commercial spaces, the Dunaway Block remains relatively unchanged from its original overall appearance and is in excellent condition.
The dome was built as a private residence for R. Buckminister Fuller and his wife Anne Hewlett Fuller who lived in Carbondale from 1959 to 1970. Buckminster Fuller was a research professor at Southern Illinois University's School of Art from 1959 to 1968. The R. Buckminster Fuller Dome was placed on the National Register of Histoiric Places in February, 2006 and most recently received recognition from the Illinois Chapter of the American Institure of Architects as one of the 150 great places in Illinois.
The Tuscan Lodge property, 201 N. Washington Street, was acquired by Tuscan Lodge #44 on April 4, 1903. Construction originally began on July 20, 1893 but was suspended due to the failure of Richart and Campbelli's Bank. In May of 1894, John C. Hundley, a merchant and one of Carbondale's leading businessmen entered into a contract with the Oddfellow's Lodge to complete the building and rehired the original builder T.L. Rasco to complete constrution. Designed in the Italiante style, this building has been extensively altered in recent decades.
The Shelton House located at 601 West Oak Street is the only remaining turreted Quenn Anne house in Carbondale. Set dramatically above the street on a generous corner lot stretching almost two hundred feet along Almond Street the house was built in 1899 for Robert Shelton, owner of the Carbondale Grocery Company.
The Train Inn, 406 East Stoker Street is one of the few surviving home's located in Block 4 of Hester and Stoker's addition platted in 1902 by Mr. George Kennedy, Jr. and constrution of new homes began shortly thereafter. The Train Inn was constructed in 1905 as part of the Arts and Crafts movement. The Arts and Crafts movement was the first phase of the modern movement (1900-1940) in domestic architecture in the United States. The home is an excellent example of the Craftsman Style, which began in Southern California around 1903 and quickly spread.
Designated in 2009, The Hickory Lodge, 1115 West Sycamore Street, was built in 1931 to be the home of Thomas W. Martin, founder of Martin Oil Company, and his family. Martin Oil Company operated a number of service stations throughout the region and sponsored the Martin Oilers Softball Team.
Designated in 2009, The Varsity Center for the Arts, located at 418 South Illinois Avenue, was built in 1940 and is an example of the art deco style of architecture which makes it a unique building in Carbondake. Once a two-tiered auditorium theater, it was later split into an upper and lower theater and a third theater was added on the the 1980's. Dick Gregory, a former SIU student, comedian, and civil rights activist is credited with sparking the movement to integrate the Varsity after staging a protest in the1950's. Though the building's appearance has been altered, current owners are seeking to restore the building to its origianl 1940's architectural appearance and use the building as a performance space.
The house built in 1905, is of the princess Anne architectural style and was the home of several noted Carbopndale residents including two generations of the Foley family, members of which are noted in Carbondale as celebrated doctors, railroad men and solid members of the community. Other members that have lived at the residence include James Mills Feirich the step-grandson of former SIU president, Dr. Daniel Baldwin Parkinson and the youngest son of Charles Edward Feirich, noted lawyer and longtime Carbondale resident.