Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
A Vacation Rental Unit is an accommodation for guests where a residential dwelling is rented for lodging for a period of time, no less than 24 hours and not exceeding 29 consecutive days, usually managed through an online platform such as AirBbB or Vrbo. The City of Carbondale permits VRUs in all districts, pending the following application process. The applicant may complete the application online or come to City Hall to apply in person.
The undersigned hereby makes application for the issuance of a City License to operate a Vacation Rental Unit within the corporate limits of the City of Carbondale, Illinois in accordance with Title 15, Chapter 3, Section 4.2.C of the Carbondale Revised Code.
Please attach the following documents:
*If lessee, signature from owner must be acquired on this application.
1. Proof provided of Fire, Hazard and Liability insurance with limits not less than $500,000 for each individual.
2. A site plan showing: (i) Location of all existing structures in relation to the property lines, and (ii) Location of all existing and proposed parking areas and driveways in relation to the property lines and structures. (Two parking spaces shall be provided per dwelling unit.)
3. An existing or proposed floor plan provided of the legally constructed primary or accessory structure designed and built for use as a dwelling.
The site plan and floor plan can be simple, hand-drawn sketches. Once these have been submitted, City staff will review your application and contact you to schedule an inspection.
1. There must be a working smoke detector inside each sleeping room; 2. There must be a working smoke detector in the vicinity outside of the sleeping rooms. 3. Every level of the house must have at least one working smoke detector. 4. There must be a working 10-pound, type ABC fire extinguisher on site, visible or stored in a marked location.
The undersigned owner affirms that the information herein is correct and hereby agrees to the Vacation Rental Unit Standards pursuant to Carbondale Revised Code of the City of Carbondale Title 15-3.4.2.C. The owner is also authorized to grant the City of Carbondale access to the interior and exterior of the listed property for the purpose of conducting housing inspections pursuant to the CCRC Title 5-17. If applicable, the undersigned owner agrees to allow the lessee to acquire the license agreeing to the Vacation Rental Unit Standards.
By checking the "I agree" box below, you agree and acknowledge that 1) your application will not be signed in the sense of a traditional paper document, 2) by signing in this alternate manner, you authorize your electronic signature to be valid and binding upon you to the same force and effect as a handwritten signature, and 3) you may still be required to provide a traditional signature at a later date.
The undersigned lessee affirms that the information herein is correct and hereby agrees to the Vacation Rental Unit Standards.
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field