News Flash

Fire Carousel

Posted on: October 12, 2020

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Danger

In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.

Often called the invisible killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely.

The Carbondale Fire Department recommends the following to avoid CO poisoning:

  • Replace the battery for your home's CO detector each spring and fall
  • Have your chimney cleaned and checked every year
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors
  • Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly
  • Do not heat your home with a gas range or oven
  • Never run a car or truck inside an attached garage

In the event your carbon monoxide alarm sounds:

  • Immediately move outside to fresh air
  • Call 911
  • Do a head count to check that all persons are accounted for
  • Do not reenter the premises until emergency responders have given you permission to do so

For additional information, call the Carbondale Fire Department at (618) 457-3234 or visit the National Fire Protection Association and the National Safety Council.



Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire Carousel

Trick-or-Treat Hours

Halloween & COVID

Posted on: October 16, 2020
Emergency Supply Kit

Do You Have A Kit?

Posted on: October 13, 2020
Smoke Detector

Change Your Clock, Change Your Battery

Posted on: October 18, 2020
Campfire Safety

5 Simple Steps to Campfire Safety

Posted on: August 31, 2020
Notify Me

Stay Connected

Posted on: August 26, 2020