News Flash

Fire Carousel

Posted on: October 29, 2019

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that often goes undetected, catching individuals off guard or in their sleep. The "silent killer" is produced by burning fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, portable generators or furnaces. When the gas builds up in enclosed spaces, people or animals who breathe it can be poisoned. It is important to take steps to ensure you stay safe.

The National Safety Council recommends the following to avoid CO poisoning:

  • Replace the battery for your home's CO detector each spring and fall
  • Have your chimney cleaned and checked every year
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors
  • Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly
  • Do not heat your home with a gas range or oven
  • Never run a car or truck inside an attached garage

In the event your carbon monoxide alarm sounds:

  • Immediately move outside to fresh air
  • Call 911
  • Do a head count to check that all persons are accounted for
  • Do not re-enter the premises until emergency responders have given you permission to do so

For additional information, visit the National Safety Council website.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire Carousel

Smoke Detector

Change Your Clock, Change Your Batteries

Posted on: February 23, 2020
Earthquake Preparedness

Earthquake Preparedness

Posted on: February 1, 2020
Space Heater Safety

Space Heater Safety

Posted on: January 3, 2020
Final Winter Survival Kit

Preparing for Winter Weather

Posted on: December 2, 2019