Building & Development
The Development Services Department of the City of Carbondale is prepared to guide you through the development process. Development Services offices can be reached at 618-457-3248.
The following is a brief overview of development issues:
- Determine if the type of business you plan is permitted at the location selected. This can be accomplished by contacting City of Carbondale Planning Services on the second floor of:
200 S Illinois Avenue
Carbondale, IL 62901
If the site is zoned for your use, obtain a zoning certificate. If a rezoning is needed allow eight weeks lead time because of the requirements of State law.
- If your project involves expanding or building a new structure (other than one house or duplex on a lot) or building a parking lot for more than four cars, a site plan will be required and must be approved by the City. Site plan review usually occurs within one week after the site plan is submitted. Site plan requirements and applications are available from Planning Services.
- If your project includes new construction, an addition or remodeling to a structure, a building permit is required from the City. Required electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits are also issued by the Building and Neighborhood Services Division.
- If your project includes signage, a sign permit is also required. Before ordering a sign, have your sign-maker check with the Building and Neighborhood Services Division to be sure the sign meets code standards.
- If you do not have a specific location selected for your business, time can be saved by contacting a local realtor and explaining your needs. A list of realtors can be obtained from the Carbondale Chamber of Commerce at 618-549-2146, or found in the yellow pages of the telephone directory.